Saturday, May 21, 2016

Waiting: Moving to Tazzie!

In line to get on the Spirit of Tasmania II
I left home extra early to make sure that I had plenty of time to find where to get on the ferry and how to load my car on it.  thus I got there an hour early at about 3pm. So I parked and waited.

An hour later I saw some cars lining up to board so I pulled out of my parking spot, drove 30ft to my spot in line and waited. 

about 10 min. later we all started moving through customs where we gave over any gas or propane (to be returned later) and let them know of any food we were bringing over. Then we all drove to where they sort the cars by size before they load them and waited.

After waiting a bit there we were finally directed to drive onto the ferry. It was a bit scary driving on a little bridge over the ocean onto a ship but I did it no problem! after what felt like a long, twisty tunnel we all started parking. Expecting instructions on what to do next a bunch of us looked around for official people and waited.

Instructions never came so we locked our cars and headed upstairs following signs to where we would be seated. After climbing 7 flights of stairs and walking through several halls I finally found my seat, got comfortable and waited.

Instructions finally came over the intercom asking those of us with cars to please turn off alarms as the rocking of the ship can set them off. So back down the stairs I went and well, my car isn't on any of the levels that staircase went to so back up 4 flights I went. I tried another staircase and 5 flights later it wasn't that one either.  Seeing someone official I asked for help finding my car to turn off the alarm. He was very helpful and thank goodness I was one of the first people to board because the man knew exactly where it would be. So 4 more flights of stairs to go and my alarm was turned off and back up 7 flights of stairs to sit in my seat and wait. 

Next to me were some nice backpackers who would also be touring tasmania so we killed some time talking about where we might go. as we waited some more.
The view from my seat.

Finally some time just after dark we started moving. We were really moving. up, down, sideways, lots of rocking. The storm we sailed through wasn't an incredibly vicious storm but it still had some strength so I was motion sick. I did breathing exercises while watching the swells go by the back of the ship from my seat, tried to sleep and waited for the sun to rise and for Tasmania to appear. 

Eventually the sun started to come up as we docked in Davenport, Tasmania. What a relief! The intercom came on and informed us that passengers without vehicles would be disembarking the rest of us would need to wait for our car levels to be called to get off the ship. And so we waited.

Being one of the first on the ferry meant one of the last on. That was ok as I was in no rush to get anywhere and drank my tea while I waited for everyone else to get off till my level was called. I then got in my car where they told us not to turn on our cars till they told us to. So I sat back and did some more waiting.

Finally I was directed off the boat where we were all bottle necked into one lane to get either go on our way or where I went to the area to reclaim my propane bottles where once again I waited.

After I met up with my seat-mates at a cafe for breckie and to figure out where to next. After enjoying a nice break I hopped into my car and drove through some of the most beautiful scenery i have ever seen. I knew then that I made the right choice in coming to Tasmania. 

I then arrived in Deloraine, met Pete, was shown my room and took a nap. At 5pm that night I started my first shift at the Bush Inn Hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment