The Blue Mountains
Driving through the Blue Mountains was lovely and I found a nice campsite for free. Just after pulling in and eating dinner it started to poor. So I hunkered down and read till dark and just enjoyed the atmosphere before going to bed. In the morning I went to the Information center where the lady was very helpful showing me great places to hike at an easy level. The hikes were beautiful but there were SO MANY STAIRS that my legs tired out quickly. After a long morning of hiking I decided to try out another free campsite down the road. There I met a nice Turkish man. He lives out of his van, makes his own yogurt, collects rain water for drinking, uses the river to wash and makes his own bread. It sounded very interesting but certainly not the lifestyle for me.
While setting up camp for the night a huge storm rolled in and I experienced what was probably one of the biggest rainstorms I've been in. The raindrops were the size of large bird droppings and the lightning and thunder seemed to last all night. The rain even seeped into the bottom of my car door a bit and got my sleeping bag wet. Thankfully only a little spot. next day you would have never guessed that there had been a storm and I drove around a bit before heading down the mountain and to my Helpx in Hornsby.


"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."-Gustave Flaubert
In that storm I felt immensely tiny and was very glad that there were others camping nearby to know I wasn't alone in my tinyness.



No comments:
Post a Comment